Click here to check out the full investigative piece for Oakland North produced in collaboration with Alondra De La Cruz.
- Wrote story about notary fraud, a common set-up that occurs because of the Spanish to English language barrier. Notaries unlawfully give legal advice to immigrants, and in many cases, pretend to be immigration attorneys.
- Reported in Oakland and Richmond, California for four months.
- Research on the topic, as well as interviews with subjects, required Spanish language proficiency.
Photo: Alondra De La Cruz
Click here to check out the full multimedia piece for Oakland North produced in collaboration with Alondra De La Cruz.
- Wrote multimedia story about an Oakland Unified School District policy that required for all high schools to offer an ethnic studies course.
- Reported for four months.
- Created infographics.
- Involved in pre-production and production of featured video.
Click here to read the story.
Wrote piece about mental health awareness within Oakland’s Black community.
Click here to see the full story.
- Wrote piece about the communication gap and educational support between Arabic-speaking and Asian Pacific Islander parents and students.
- Made reference to the Oakland Unified School District study that showed 73 percent of Arabic-speaking students’ reading levels were several years below their grade level during the 2016-17 school year. 66 percent were not on track to graduate from high school.
Click here to see the multimedia story.
- Reported for over a month to write a profile about Norbert Elliot, an Oakland skateboarder who mentors kids at DeFremery Park, a location historically known to be a gathering place for the Black community in the East Bay.
- Produced audio piece.
- Took all photographs.
Read the full story here.
Wrote piece about the gap in mental health services available for Transitional Age Youth (TAY), or people ages 16 through mid-20s in the East Bay.
Read the full story here.
Wrote article about the effort to close the digital divide that affects students enrolled in the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). The Oakland non-profit Tech Exchange and OUSD collaborated with the telecommunications company Sprint to give away free hotspots, smartphones, and tablets to district high school students
Read the full story here .
Wrote article about the Oakland City Council ban of sales of flavored tobacco products, including menthol cigarettes.
Click here to read my article published on Fusion Magazine.
Wrote article about the Ciudad Juárez, Mexico – El Paso, Texas band, The Chamanas. The group had recently been nominated for a Latin Grammy and was awarded an Independent Music Award.
Photos: Darío Lizárraga